Changing to LED outdoor lighting technology doesn’t necessarily mean changing all the existing lighting fixtures.
LED technology is making large improvements every year. Now it’s possible to change out existing halogen bulbs to LED bulbs. Many projects that we initially evaluate we determine that instead of changing out all the existing landscape fixtures we can do a simple LED retrofit.
When does it make sense to retrofit existing outdoor lighting system to LED?
If existing lighting fixtures at a project are either brass or copper and in good condition, we can usually retrofit these fixtures to LED. However, if the lighting fixtures are of a low quality such as box store brands like Malibu, Toro, Hampton Bay etc. it is not worth spending good money for bad. Even professional brands of landscape lighting fixtures that are cast aluminum are not worth retrofitting to LED. Why put a 15-20 year LED landscape lamp in fixtures that could corrode out in few years.
Also during that initial evaluation, we make suggestions to upgrade the outdoor lighting design up to our standards. Usually existing lighting system are missing many key lighting design elements. Also if the lighting system had not been maintained properly (this is the cases in about 90% of the time) there will needed changes to compensate for plant growth and other landscape changes since the original outdoor lighting installation.
The LED outdoor lighting retrofit process
1. Evaluate to see if existing landscape fixtures are suitable for retrofitting.
2. Determine if existing landscape light fixtures needs to be moved to a more advantageous place
3. Examine lighting fixture to see if internal components sockets hardware needs replacing. The old halogen lamps get VERY hot and very often damage socket, gasket and other elements. We then will replace any damaged items of existing fixtures.
4. Lamp existing fixture with the proper LED lamp which means proper wattage and beam sread.(link to LED lamps)
5. Clean lenes and body of fixture.
6. Focus fixture.
7. Smile because we have just enhanced the overall effect and extended the life of this lighting system for a another 10-15plus years